I’ve been told a grateful heart is a happy, sober, serene heart. So today, I want to share 25 things that I’m thankful for.
1. Patience – the patience my family has for me when I’m short-tempered, moody and generally ugly.
2. That feeling you get when you open your house windows for the first time after a long hot Florida summer or a cold, icy, northern winter.
3. That I don’t want to kill myself today.
4. That he had the affair.
5. Fingers that allow me to write the thoughts in my head.
6. Google and how it has expanded my knowledge on all things and how it has informed me of all the illnesses I wasn’t aware I had.
7. John Baker and Celebrate Recovery.
8. That I don’t apologize for things I’ve already apologized for.
9. That God does for me what I can’t and won’t do for myself.
10. Jeggings because they always fit.
11. That I don’t stop doing all the right things just because I did one wrong thing.
12. For a husband who is willing to do anything I ask of him and who loves me enough not to.
13. That my dogs are relatively housebroken.
14. That I can have adult conversations with my adult sons.
15. That I can honestly say, turning into my mother is not a bad thing after-all.
16. For the fact that on most days, I don’t hate myself.
17. Tile floors (see 13.)
18. That my daughter trusts me with her secrets.
19. That every day, I have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of other people, and sometimes I actually use that opportunity for good.
20. Mint-chocolate chip ice cream.
21. My sobriety
22. That someone might read this and feel better as a result.
23. For God reminding me that as long as I feel better as a result of writing this, it doesn’t matter if anyone ever reads it.
24. Hope and all the people that give me little pieces of it every day.
25. Friends who hold me accountable and believe in me more than I believe in myself.