In honor of National Suicide Prevention Week, there are a few things you should know. If you are thinking about suicide, please remember…
- You may want desperately to end your pain through suicide, but others only survive their pain because they watch you get through yours. They look at you, at your circumstances, at everything you’ve been through and think, “Wow, if they can do it, so can I.” Your very existence may have saved countless lives already.You may not love yourself, but someone else does. They may not be able to show you or tell you, but that is their issue, not yours.
- You may not think you’re worth anything, but the people whose lives you touch do. They base their own self-worth on the people around them, you included. They may be helpers, nurturers, parents, children or just people who feel your pain. They are the people who have openly worried about you and secretly prayed for you. To them, you are worth the effort, the time and life.
- You may think life is too unbearable, but you don’t realize your existence is the only thing that makes life bearable for others. You may be the bright spot in someone else’s day. That person who goes home to an abusive husband or parent may count you as their only blessing. The friend who watches you struggle may be so grateful that you are showing others how strong a person can be.
- You might believe there is no way out, but you just haven’t found the door. It is there, just waiting for you to open it. And behind that door are people just like you, people who have felt alone, abandoned, hurt, rejected and full of failure. Behind that door are other desperate people full of shame, guilt, regret and hopelessness. And they will rally around you, lift you up and tell you the one thing you need to hear… you are not alone. And, they will tell you that suicide is not the only option.
- You are probably tired, but please don’t close your eyes just yet. There is more to see. There is more to this life than the hurt and pain you are feeling right now. There is a rainbow, waiting to be found behind the clouds and clouds, behind the cutting and suicide attempts. Please stay to see the beauty.
Please don’t commit suicide right now. Please stay alive for just one more day. Stay alive for those who can’t live without you. Stay alive for me.
If you are thinking about suicide, there is help. I know because I found my way out of the pain. I found my way to do the door. I kept my eyes open for just one more day. And I’m here to tell you that you can do it too.
Read my personal experience with suicide here.
And if no one has told you this today, let me…
YOU ARE LOVED
1 (800) 273-8255
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline